Saturday, January 16, 2010

"I saw a film today, oh boy"

I helped celebrate a good friends birthday today.  First stop was a newly opened trendy Red Mango on Cedar Springs in Dallas.  I had tangomonium (small), a fat free and delicious yogurt.  Next stop was the Magnolia to watch Book of Eli ("Brothers Allen and Albert Hughes (From Hell, Dead Presidents) direct this post-apocalyptic future western about a lone warrior, Eli (Denzel Washington) who traverses the blasted American landscape on foot, fighting to protect a book he possesses. Meanwhile the despot of a small, makeshift town (Gary Oldman) is determined to seize it. The knowledge the book contains could be the very key to redemption for an unforgiving, violent society.")  


Tonight I've read the reviews.  They aren't pretty.  For me it felt like one of those video games my nephews used to play where the main character is  attempting to escape from a Nazi Prison Camp and blowing away every un-dead Nazi that comes along.   The reviewers seemed to relish in the fact that this was a comic book instead of a substantial cinematic achievement.   But it seems to me, every movie is a glorified comic book these days (ie Avatar, Vampires, etc, etc, etc.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment